Climate based design is critical to better buildings and the NCC 2019 - Vol 1 has its own set of climate zones to stipulate Performance Requirements.
- Climate zone 1 – High humidity summer, warm winter
- Climate zone 2 – Warm, humid summer, mild winter
- Climate zone 3 – Hot, dry summer, warm winter
- Climate zone 4 – Hot, dry summer, cool winter
- Climate zone 5 – Warm temperate
- Climate zone 6 – Mild temperate
- Climate zone 7 – Cool temperate
- Climate zone 8 – Alpine
It should be noted that within these climate zones, significant variance in local climates occurs. As such, they are useful for general building strategies, but a more localised view of the climate will likely render different outcomes in the design of a building.